REQUIREMENTS FOR GRADE
Ichikawa-ha Goju-ryu International Karate-do Sosui-kai has specific requirements that must be met before any member can advance to the next grade.
This segment should be used as a guide for our members to know if, in addition to mastery of prescribed kata and techniques, they may be ready to advance to the next level of their karate-do training. For more information, please refer to the organizational by-laws.
Promotion to any Grade Requires Two Major Components:
1) Proficient knowledge of required material set forth for each grade.
2) Completion of time-in-grade requirements before promotion to the next grade.
Minimum Time-in-Grade Requirements for Promotion to Yodansha Grades
(Black Belt Level)
1) Shodan 初段 — 5 years minimum total training
2) Nidan 二段 — 1 year minimum training after attaining Shodan
3) Sandan 三段 — 3 years minimum training after attaining Nidan
4) Yondan 四段 — 3 years minimum training after attaining Sandan
5) Godan 五段 — 3 years minimum training after attaining Yondan
6) Rokudan 六段 — 5 years minimum training after attaining Godan
7) Nanadan 七段 — 5 years minimum training after attaining Rokudan
8) Hachidan 八段 — 5 years minimum training after attaining Nanadan
9) Kudan 九段 — 10 years minimum training after attaining Hachidan
10) Judan 十段 — 10 years minimum training after attaining Kudan
No Testing Required for Grades Above Godan
Criteria to Attain Kodansha Grades of Kudan and Judan
1) In order for an individual to achieve the grade of Kudan, in addition to the above requirement, the person must also be a minimum of 60 years of age and have a minimum of 40 years of training within the system.
2) In order for an individual to achieve the grade of Judan, in addition to the above requirement, the person must also be a minimum of 70 years of age and have a minimum of 50 years of training within the system.
In addition to Dan grading which awards technical proficiency, the Ichikawa-ha Goju-ryu International Karate-do Sosui-kai also utilizes a series of teacher grades for instructors with dojos. This system is used to differentiate excellence and seniority among our instructors within the organization.
This Level of Grading is as follows:
1) Kenshi 拳士 — Apprentice Instructor licensure available at Sandan. Prospective Kenshi must assist a senior instructor for 1 year before Sandan examination. Shibu Dojo is not required to hold this licensure.
2) Renshi 錬士 — Available for Yondan and Godan. Prospective Renshi must pass a written examination and own a Shibu (branch) Dojo.
3) Kyoshi 教士 — Available for Rokudan, Nanadan, Hachidan. Prospective Kyoshi must pass a written examination and own a Shibu (branch) Dojo.
4) Senior Kyoshi 上級教士 — Honorary grade duly awarded to Hachidan. This grade can be held by only one member within the organization at a time.
5) Hanshi 範士 — Kudan and Judan